At some point in your life, you might find yourself holding onto a grudge because you feel you're justified to do so. Yet, while you may be correct in a particular situation, there's absolutely no good that can come out of holding a grudge!
Allowing yourself to be consumed by bad feelings for another person is counter-productive to achieving a peaceful existence.
Instead, why not take a shot at the following life-changing exercises that can help you achieve that inner peace?
How to Let Go of Grudges
- Take the high road. As cliché as it may sound, taking the high road is just about the most important step you can take to allow yourself to let go of grudges. And what does taking the high road involve? Simply put, it's all about making a conscious effort to not be conquered by negative feelings.
- Human beings are the only species capable of making choices; why not make a positive one?
- Assess how you're being affected. If you really think about it, in the midst of your grudge, you're likely being impacted negatively by holding on to the event which affected you. You may think you're going through the motions like you normally do, but deep inside you're probably feeling unhappy and not understanding why.
- Know that negative actions and feelings have a domino effect, and other aspects of your life will likely be affected if you dwell on something negative for too long.
- Put yourself in the other person's shoes. It takes a lot of maturity to stop and consider how you would feel if you were in the other person's shoes. It's easy to say that they are at fault for being in the position they're in, but what if you end up in that same position yourself one day?
- Even if you still disagree with what they did, seeing the situation from their perspective can help you understand why they did what they did. Truly understanding their reasons often makes it easier for you forgive.
- Embrace positive energy. The more positive energy you embrace, the harder it will be for you to hold on to grudges. Embracing positive energy means doing things, visiting places and hanging out with people that leave you feeling "peachy" inside. You'll find that you'll yearn for positive energy and make efforts to banish negativity.
- Reason with your mind and not your emotions. One key thing that's important to remember is that your mind and your feelings are completely different things! Your mind allows you to think, reason and create. Your emotions allow you to react. It's important to avoid trying to think, reason and create when engulfed in an emotional state.