Messaging back and forth with your partner on social media can be fun, but social media has its own challenges to navigate. Social media websites have their own rules and customs regarding privacy and etiquette.
Not following the rules can cause embarrassment, hurt feelings, and relationship issues. It can also be challenging to convey your message in print, when your partner can’t see you or hear your tone.
Once you learn the “system,” though, social media gives you a lot of opportunity to show your love.
Learn to use these techniques in social media and make your partner feel loved:
1. Follow etiquette rules. Social media makes it easy to post and share a message with another person. However, it’s important to remember that you may be sharing that message with the entire world.
- Stay aware of rules at work regarding social media use and avoid using work accounts to communicate with your partner.
- Sharing personal and intimate details on social media can embarrass your partner and create issues in your relationship. It can also lead to questions from friends that you may not want to answer.
2. Be aware of your privacy settings. Before you start filling your social media account with messages of love, check your privacy settings.
- Are you comfortable sharing your social media posts with the world?
- Do you prefer that only your partner or a select group of friends and family members see the messages?
- Adjust your privacy settings to your preference and check them periodically.
3. Share small messages of love. Small messages can brighten your partner’s day and make them feel special. You can wish them a good day, check in on them during stressful times, and post encouraging words. A smile or heart emoticon can also be a small message of love.
- These short messages remind your partner that you care about them.
4.Send love letters. If you don’t want to use a pen and paper, you can use social media to write a love letter.
- Online love letters have the benefit of permanence.
- You don’t have to worry about spilling orange juice on it or losing an online love letter. You can always print off another copy or read it online. You can also save it to an online cloud storage service and access it on multiple devices such as phones or tablets.
5. Post messages of encouragement. Is your partner having a challenging day at work? Are they worried about a big presentation? You can use social media to show your support.
- You may not be able to attend their big presentation or meeting, but you can provide encouragement online. Post messages and share ideas.
- You can also help them calm down and relax during a difficult day.
6. Pay attention to your tone and content. It’s not easy to share messages of love online because your facial expression and body language can’t be seen.
- Emoticons can help convey your emotions. Choose carefully to find emoticons that connect with your message.
- Before you hit send, look over your social media post and check it for errors and any wording that could be taken the wrong way.